Friday, October 15, 2010

Interview With A Broadcasting Leader





Steve Marks, Sinclair Chief Operating Officer

For my interview I chose a professional that works in the broadcasting business, Steve Marks. He currently works for Sinclair and is Chief Operating Officer.

What made you go into the entertainment business?

Marks: Initially thought I might want to be a comedian, or a sportscaster,
so I gravitated towards things that involved entertainment.

How did you get involved in the entertainment business?

Marks: Initially I did stand up comedy in clubs in New York, but I majored in
Communications in college and graduated with a BFA degree, I had hoped
to land a job with some thing that had to do with entertainment, or
advertising.

What aspect of the entertainment business are you involved in?

Marks:  I run a group of over the air broadcast stations for a company called Sinclair. My involvement is as Chief Operating Officer. I am responsible for the day-to-day activities of the company.

If you were to recommend anything to an aspiring entertainment business
student, what would you recommend?

Marks: There are a host of different categories when you are talking about
entertainment, my aspect is on the business side of it, my job is to
make our company more profitable and more attractive to prospective
share holders and advertisers, from the business side of it I would
recommend getting a job , or internship with a local media outlet, could
be radio, tv, cable etc.

What are the keys to staying successful in the entertainment business?

Marks: Key in any business is hard work, there are no short cuts, again
would depend on what aspect of the business your in, typically people in
the entertainment business have interesting personalities, they are
typically confident, have big egos, and are use to success, you have to
be able to converse at that level.

The entertainment business is an extremely competitive field, who are
your main competitors? What do you do to stay on top?

Marks: I like to run my business as my business I treat it like I own it, I
am concerned about my competitors but only to the extent that I can take
advantage of any weakness they may be displaying at any given time, so I
try to stay current from a business aspect. Short of that I worry about
my company and what I can do to try to make it better. I do not spend
a lot of time worrying about competitors. I am aware of them, but I tend
to concentrate on what I have control of my company. I do not have control of what my competitors do, I might influence it, but I
can’t control it.

What are your thoughts on leadership and the business environment?

Marks: Leaders hire good people, they realize that strength comes from who
they surround themselves with, and it is important to lead by example.

Have you used personal branding in order to get your name out?

Marks: No, I have not.

Do you use media networks such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Blogs
to promote your business? Do you think they help?

Marks: Yes we do, any media used properly ie the right message should have
some benefit.

What do you think the greatest downfall about the entertainment business?

Marks: Hollywood can’t control spending, much like baseball cant control how
the Yankees spend money on free agents. Hollywood spends too much on
their product, cost have to be controlled.....never happen....but here
again that is just one aspect of the entertainment business. The fact of
the matter is people will always look for an entertainment outlet, and as
long as people will have the need to be entertained regardless of how
they choose to get that entertainment speaks well for the industry,
there really is no downside. The consumer is always looking for some form
of entertainment.

Marks works with a broadcasting company, which supplies several channels. I hope to work with the Scripps Networks, which also supplies several channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment