Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Internet is Ruining Travel Journalism

It seems that every travel journalist that I have interviewed or talked to has warned me about the field. They admit that the field used to be quite prosperous, but now they make close to nothing because of the Internet. I personally do not look at this as a road stop, but more of a challenge. I understand the Internet is my main competitor and that it is extremely hard to get works published in magazines, but my route has to do with vlogging and television.

On the topic, I currently read an article by Jeremy Head, which is a writer for tnooz (a talking travel tech website). Head points out that the Internet is beating travel journalism. He first explains how the newspaper industry is fading fast and how newspapers were an outlet where travel journalism was harvested and read. Head also discusses how travel itself is declining. People aren’t traveling because they do not have money from the current economy. I know that the travel will start to pick up as soon as the economy does. It is sad to see such an interesting field diminish and be taken over by sights such as yelp and Trip Advisor. Travel journalism is an art and has a flowing type of writing, while travel sites are direct and show no passion towards the location.

My plan is to travel and reveal why certain cultures eat the foods that they do. This will include what economic, religious and regional effects have on the food. The title is Food Through Culture and hopefully people will be interested in knowing why they are eating some of the foods that they do. I promise not to give up travel journalism and I hope to restore passion in the travel industry. By showing viewers that travel is important, broadens the senses and captivates cultures they will be inspired to travel and to read travel journalism.

http://www.tnooz.com/2009/10/01/news/the-internet-is-ruining-travel-journalism/

No comments:

Post a Comment