Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review of Podcasts

Episode 13 of the Entertainment Law Update podcast discusses Justin Bieber and his soon to be lawsuit. The lawsuit comes from a kid from Illinois, one of Justin Bieber’s enemies. Bieber revealed the kid’s phone number on twitter and has received 26,000 texts. The podcast also includes a mention of the Tenenbaum v. Sony case and how the award from the case was cut 90% on constitutional grounds. The update also talks about Kate Plus 8. The issue at hand is whether the children should be allowed to film because they are under the age of 7 and are not allowed to work on television. They then talk about Jay-Z and his lawsuit against Ahab Joseph Nafal, which involves Nafal infringing copyright on “Big Pimpin”.
There are so many issues on the entertainment law update podcasts that I could only pick a few. But the ones that I have mentioned are all quite recent. It shows that stars are not invincible. I also believe that the Kate Plus 8 court case should be reviewed because the work of children should be monitored. The issue with Jay-Z shows us that even if you live in another country, use another language and use someone else’s tune, you can still be charged with copyright.

The second podcast discusses Lady Gaga and Madonna. Lady Gaga was said to have stolen a song from Madonna. The song they are talking about is “Born This Way”, which is supposed to be Madonna’s “Express Yourself”. Another issue that was talked about was about Subway and their “foot long”. Casey’s General Store, Inc. claims that Subway told them to desist from using the term “foot long”. CGS, Inc. came back saying that the word “foot long” is not copyrighted. Another issue talks about Super Bowl fans and how during the 2011 Super Bowl, ticket holders were denied their tickets to the game.
This issues that were brought up in this podcast were very entertaining. I enjoyed hearing about the popular Gaga and Madonna case. I also believe that Subway should not be able to copyright the word “foot long”. And lastly the case with the Super Bowl Fans, well I hope they get their money’s worth.

The last podcast talks about the book Hollywood on Strike by Jonathan Handel. The book covers the 2007-2008 Writer’s Guild strike and the stalemate from the Screen Actors, which lasted through 2009. The book discusses how the strike got started and why the writers thought they were not being paid enough money.
I found this podcast interesting because I remember hearing about the strike, but I never really followed why it happened. Hearing this podcast made me realize how much money actors were making compared to writers.

www.entertainmentlawupdate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment